Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Exams!

So, how many of you break out in a cold sweat when you hear the dreaded word. How many times do you relive those moments.. ah precious moments!, the dread, the anticipation, the good 'ol shiver in the spine, and why oh why do these host of butterflies make your stomach their home?

I wrote one of these exam things recently. They are such an integral part of your student life that you end up going thro' the motions, just like everyone else. Hell! the whole thing was almost normal. Every summer, with the sweltering heat and the promise of summer holidays and mangoes to cheer you on when you learn to rote that one last topic on the plinth area of the - 'something or the other temple' built in 1056 AD.

Nothing changes.

Now, however, I did pay some attention to the environment - to the people around and what they were up to in that last half an hour when you are forced to enter the examination hall and sit down, but no sirree , the exams don't start. Not yet.

Lets look around. There are about a hundred people in the room. About 50 of them, with tikkas and assorted colourful material on their forehead - those are the ones wearing their prayer on their forehead, quite literally. I'm sure after breaking about 10 coconuts at the temple, hope soars with every extra one offered to god. Its almost time! I should meditate, collect my thoughts if you will. Oh but I can't. One of those eager beaver bunches have just gathered up two desks away. Confidently throwing out formulae at each other. Its a competition, the one who recites the most in number and in the tone most audible wins! Tough call - they were all loud, they were all winners.

What is that rhythmic drumming I hear. Oh the lady next to me who decides to gainfully employ herself by drumming on the desk. Rocking new beat that one, accompanied by at least a dozen people tapping their feet. Rhythm you say? Nervousness I say. Get over your nervousness. Shake your leg baby!

There's of course this guy on the other side of my desk. Lets see, 1,2,3... 10 pencils, 2 pens, 2 calculators, 3 Snickers bars (for when the fainting fit threatens to come I presume), one large hand kerchief, a bottle of water... Who can take risks? Always have plan A,B and C ready. What's this I see though? oh yeah! no space left on the desk to keep the question and answer sheet. I feel sorry for you buddy.

Where was I though? Hmm collecting my thoughts, meditating, but help! My mind , its empty! Horror horror, what about my exams, what about all those days spent with my nose to the books? All to naught? Wait, I see a sliver of a tought entering my mind. I smile. Its a song! beedi jalaile la la la - the last song on the radio on my way to the exam center. It hate it , yet it stays on in my head with dogged determination. I have to hum it. Will it then go away? No it wont. Now, I'm the one getting stared at. Horror!

Oh god! make me invisible. I want to be a million miles away.

HELP!

Trrrrrrrring. It starts.

3 comments:

Maanasi said...

nice!! liked it...you have some more exams to go......muahahahahahha

kannan said...

hey girl,

nice one. keep it going. have added you to my favs:)

cheers...me

Deepak Atreya said...

hey good one.....i liked ur writing style!!keep em comin